Shabbat is celebrated weekly at Congregation Beth Israel with services on Friday evenings and on Saturday mornings each month. We have a weekly Torah study from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. each Saturday. Our service offerings are designed to accommodate different needs and schedules:
- First Friday – 6:15 Family service followed by a vegetarian potluck dinner. During the school year, various Kesher classes will lead the community.
- Second Friday – 6:15 service followed by a sweet nosh (hosted by individual Beth Israel committees and/or members)
- Second Saturday – 10:30 Reform service followed by a potluck lunch
- Third Friday – 6:15 service followed by a potluck dinner
- Third Saturday – 11:00 Tot Shabbat Service followed by a potluck lunch. During this entertaining 25 minute service, children, ages 1-6ish sit on the bima with the Rabbi and sing songs, move around, giggle and march around the synagogue with stuffed Torah scrolls. Most families stay for a potluck lunch immediately following the service.
- Fourth Friday – 7:30 service with participation from Ma’Ayan Shir (Fountain of Song) followed by a sweet nosh
- Fourth Saturday – 10:30 lay-led Conservative style service in the Beit Midrash, followed by a potluck lunch
- Fifth Friday – SHABBAT AT HOME
If you would like to chant Torah or haftarah on a Saturday morning, please notify Rabbi Samuels.
If you are a guest at a Saturday morning service, the Rabbi might extend you the honor of having an aliyah.
The Shabbat schedule is included in the monthly newsletter, The Shul Shofar, and is on our online calendar. Our weekly email, The Timbrel, includes reminders of Shabbat schedules along with other events and is sent each Wednesday to all members who elect to receive it.